Login Register

Bowen double is enough to see Ponthenri past Dafen

By Llanelli Star  |  Posted: February 27, 2013

Comments (0)

INSPIRED by the brilliance of Chris Bowen, Ponthenri defied the odds to beat visiting Dafen 2-1 in one of three games played in the premier division of the LTC Mobility Carmarthenshire League on Saturday.

Playing against one of the strongest teams in the division, Bowen gave Ponthenri a deserved lead with a header in the 20th minute. He then rounded the keeper in the 40th minute to make the half-time score 2-0.

Although the visitors pulled a goal back, Ponthenri held on to their lead with a degree of comfort. Solid as a rock for Ponthenri was keeper Anthony Johns.

Seaside gained revenge for their defeat two weeks earlier by thumping Bwlch 5-1 in their own back yard.

Related content

The game started well for Seaside when a free-kick from the right by Lee Stone was headed in at the far post by Luke Jenkins after two minutes.

Bwlch were back level after 20 minutes when Clayton Jenkins scored with a fine shot from 20 yards.


Jenkins had the chance to put Bwlch in the lead six minutes later when he found himself clean through but his effort was well saved by Chris Lazell. The rebound fell back to Jenkins but somehow Lazell made a spectacular save to tip it on to the bar.

This seemed to spur Seaside on, and on 32 minutes Dai Hughes raced through and calmly lobbed the ball over the keeper from 25 yards.

Three minutes later it was three when Hughes crossed from the right and Rob Thomas finished from four yards.

The second half was one-way traffic and Hughes made it four from the spot, and the scoring was rounded off when Luke Jenkins headed in from a Steve Stone corner.

Seaside's second team also beat Bwlch 5-1, with goals from Wayne Phillips (2), Ricky Fitzsimmons, Jesse Rees and a Neil Richards penalty.

Seaside's third team lost 4-1 to Dafen, Oliver Davies scoring a consolation goal.

Going into the home clash against Evans & Williams, relegation-threatened Wellfield had leaked 21 goals in their previous three league games.

And it didn't get any better in this one as they crashed 8-0. Four of the goals were shared by Chris Davies and Johnny Thomas.

It couldn't have been a worse start for the home team, with Dan Thomas giving Evans & Williams the lead inside the first 60 seconds, and three more goals were added by Stuart Mahoney and Stuart Rees, with a penalty. It was 3-0 at the break.

There is no change at the top of the table, with leaders Loughor Rovers extending their advantage to three points following a 2-0 win at Johnstown.

After taking the lead through Ashley Lewis, who tucked the chance away when the ball rebounded to him off the keeper in the 43rd minute, centre-half Louis Jackson made it 2-0 in the 83rd minute.

In the big game in division one, Brett Enoch struck twice for Tumble United in a 3-2 win at home to Burry Port. Also on target was Tyrone Williams as the home team came from behind to secure three important points.

A 75th-minute goal from Jordan Fuge wasn't enough for Felinfoel, who lost 4-1 at home to Pontlliw, but Pwll Athletic came away with a deserved point from a 3-3 draw at Caerbryn. Marcus James was the Pwll hero with a hat-trick.

Garden Village were in action at Abergwili and came away with a cracking 6-3 win.


The deadly Greg Fisher helped kill off the home team with his second consecutive hat-trick, the others to hit the target being Joe Parker, with a header, Iwan Lindsay and Anthony Logan.

It was always going to be tough for visiting Drefach at promotion-chasing Johnstown United, though the Gwendraeth side did themselves proud, and even took the lead before eventually going down 3-2.

In a cracking game, Callum Deadman equalised in the 42nd minute, before Johnstown took the lead for the first time in the 55th minute when Adam Thomas headed in a cross by Deadman. Substitute Steffan Phillips scored a third with a low drive in the 70th minute only 30 seconds after coming on to replace Adam Thomas.

Kidwelly Town finished the stronger in defeating visiting Whitland 3-2.

After a slow start, Kidwelly picked up the pace and struck through John Lloyd, Liam Martin and Dwayne Cassell.

CK Swiss Valley lost 5-0 at Penllergaer, and Penyfan United were beaten 3-1 at home by leaders Carmarthen Town Reserves, for whom Dan Ramsey headed them ahead from a free-kick by Jason Davies in the 20th minute.

Although the home team did get back on terms by half-time, Town finished the stronger with goals from Richard Whalley, a penalty for handball in the 47th minute, and Ramsey with his second.

In division three Bancffosfelen made it five wins on the bounce when defeating Porth Tywyn 6-3 at home.

Kristian Forrest capped an outstanding display with a hat-trick for Banc, also on target being Frankie Vaughan, with a header, Jamie Jones and Aled Owen.

Helped by two cracking goals from Dean Thomas, Pembrey beat KRUF 3-1 on their own ground. All the goals were scored in the second half, with Owain Jones also netting for Pembrey.

The game between the top two in the table, leaders Greenfield Rovers and visiting Llanelli Steel, was abandoned on 40 minutes because of an injury to the referee. It was 0-0 at the time.

In reserve division one, there were hat-tricks for both Alex Harries and Steven Banfield in helping Evans & Williams defeat visiting Johnstown 8-2. Also on target were Kyle Jones and Gary Evans.

In a thrilling game in reserve division three, Jonathan Williams struck twice for Pembrey in a 4-4 draw at home to Wellfield.

Williams rescued a point when he scored his second goal in the 90th minute. Darren Gower and Damian Davies also netted.

Read more from Llanelli Star

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters