Login Register

Pengelli suffer as battling Wellfield show true grit

By Llanelli Star  |  Posted: November 14, 2012

Comments (0)

AFTER conceding 31 goals in their last four league games in the LTC Mobility Carmarthenshire Football League premier division, which included 21 in their last two, Wellfield Athletic showed their battling qualities with a bounce-back 3-2 win against Pengelli United on their own ground.

When Wellfield went a goal behind early on one could have been excused for thinking 'here we go again', but the Wellfield players are made of sterner stuff and they were soon back on terms thanks to a Robert Owens header in the 23rd minute.

When the referee pointed to the spot early in the second half, Robert Kirkhouse made no mistake to give Wellfield the lead for the first time in the match. Shortly afterwards, Steffan Phillips netted for 3-1.

Although the home team managed to cut the deficit to 3-2, they never threatened an equaliser.


None worked harder for Wellfield than Nathan Jones, Simon Evans, Robert Owens and Nicholas Glendon.

Loughor Rovers went into the game against visiting Dafen needing three points to go top of the table, but they could not have dreamt of a worse start.

They found themselves a goal behind inside the first 120 seconds, Mark Davies leaving the keeper helpless with a fine header.

A cross from Andrew Gardner forced Loughor into conceding an own goal in the ninth minute, and on the quarter of an hour mark it was 3-0 when new signing George Lavender was chopped down in the box and Wayne Williams netted from the spot.

Rovers were given a chance to get back into it when the referee pointed to the spot at the other end, but to his dismay Dan Hurford saw both his attempt and the rebound saved by keeper Darren Green.

Matthew Hurford did score to bring it back to 3-1, only for Andrew Gardner to respond with a fourth goal for Dafen.

Dan Hurford made amends for his penalty miss in the 65th minute for Loughor, but it was too late in the day.

In the only other game played in the top flight, Evans & Williams v Bwlch Rangers finished in a 1-1 draw.

After going behind to a goal from Matthew Hughes, who cut in from the left before bending his shot past the keeper in the 25th minute, Evans & Williams rescued a point in the 75th minute via Michael Edwards.

Just when it looked as if Ponthenri were strolling into the third round of the Tony Nakonecznyj Insurance Brokers-sponsored West Wales Intermediate Cup, the tie against visiting Swansea side Brunswick United was abandoned on 40 minutes because of a hamstring injury suffered by the referee.

Ponthenri at the time were 3-1 ahead, having taken the lead in the fifth minute when Aled Williams capitalised on a mix-up in defence to score from 12 yards.

Good work from Huw Rumble set up the second goal for Dominic Foreman in the 15th minute, before Aled Williams headed past the keeper for 3-0 on 25 minutes.

Although the visitors did pull a goal back shortly afterwards, the home team still looked well in control and it was a great disappointment for players and supporters when injury to the official forced a halt. The tie has been re-arranged for this Saturday.

In one of three games played in division one, Tumble United produced their best performance of the season to beat visiting Caerbryn 3-0.

And it took Tumble just 30 seconds to open their account, Steven Hewitt giving the keeper no chance with a fine effort from close range.


Although Tumble continued to get the better of the early exchanges, it took them until the half-hour mark to double their advantage when, from a cross by Tyrone Williams, the busy Brett Enoch placed his header wide of the keeper.

The third goal, which killed off the visitors, arrived in the 70th minute, and it was another header from a Tyrone Williams cross that secured the points. This time it was Peter Raynor who found the back of the net.

Division three leaders Llanelli Steel were in action against Cross Hands and made ground advantage count in a deserved 2-0 win.

After a first half without goals, the deadlock was broken in the 47th minute by the impressive Niall Davies. A cross from Aneurin Evans was deflected by a defender past his own keeper in the 65th minute.

In the second round of the Senior Cup, Kristian Brown struck with a hat-trick inside the first 22 minutes as Trallwm beat visiting Johnstown 6-0.

Striker Luke Jones made it 4-0 in the 32nd minute, before Liam Samuel netted twice in the space of five minutes on the hour mark to complete the scoring.

Read more from Llanelli Star

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters