Login Register
 °

SEARCH CONTINUES AT THE SCARLETS

By Llanelli Star  |  Posted: July 31, 2013

Comments (1)

THE Scarlets are continuing their search for a No. 8 to bolster their squad ahead of the new campaign.

The Llanelli-based region have been linked with former All Blacks No. 8 Rodney So'oialo, but it is understood that despite initial talks with the 62-cap forward, a deal is unlikely to go ahead.

So'oialo was once regarded as one of the leading No. 8s in world rugby, but he has spent the last two seasons playing for Honda Heat in Japan and turns 34 in October. He may still be coming to Wales, though, with Cardiff Blues understood to be interested in his signature.

The Scarlets have also been linked to Australian Lachlan McCaffrey, a 23-year-old back-rower who scored for Western Force against the British Lions in the tour match in Perth last month.

McCaffrey has made seven appearances for the Force in the Super 15 and represented Australia at the 2010 IRB Junior World Championships in Argentina. Scarlets head coach Simon Easterby has made no secret of his desire to add a powerful ball-carrying No. 8 to his armoury, with the West Walians having struggled to find a replacement for England international Ben Morgan since his switch to Gloucester last summer.

Rob McCusker played there for the majority of last season, but prefers the blindside flanker role, while Kieran Murphy has made the move to French Top14 side Brive.

The Scarlets had targeted heavyweight Tongan Opeti Fonua, who came over to Llanelli for talks, but he opted to stay in France and joined Bayonne.

The Scarlets do have transfer funds available following their controversial decision to offload star British Lions wing George North to Northampton Saints.

And so far they have brought in Scotland international back-rower John Barclay from Glasgow and versatile back Steve Shingler, who has returned to Llanelli from London Irish. A winger also remains a priority for Easterby with North and Andy Fenby (London Irish) having moved on, while Morgan Stoddart has been forced to retire because of injury.

Others who have left include 21-year-old fly-half Owen Williams, who is looking forward to making a mark at Aviva Premiership Leicester Tigers this season.

Williams was snapped up by the East Midlands giants after his man-of-the-match display against the Tigers in the LV= Cup last season.

After the match he received a phone call from Leicester's director of rugby Richard Cockerill — and the offer proved too good to turn down.

"I was thrilled when one of the biggest clubs in Europe approached me, but it took me a while to think about it," said the Ystradgynlais product.

"I approached a lot of people including coaches and ex-players for advice and they all had good things to say about Leicester.

"It's a fantastic club that wins trophies. It's exciting. Really exciting. I didn't know anyone when I first arrived and everybody has been good in helping me settle. I know I have to prove myself. When some of the boys are away on international duty, there will be opportunities to play and I have to keep on improving and find my role in the team."

Capped at under-20 level, Williams doesn't believe the move will affect his ambitions of senior honours.

"If, touch wood, I ever manage to get picked for Wales, I believe I am a few years off that yet anyway," he added.

"I have signed here for two seasons and that will only improve my game. If I am lucky enough to get selected for Wales in the future, we will see how it goes."

Read more from Llanelli Star

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters
  • Spideyjonesy  |  July 31 2013, 12:01PM

    Are the Scarlets aware there is a limit of the number of non welsh players a region can sign? The regional participation says 6 and they already have 6 non welsh guys at the region They have allowed a welsh 8 in murphy to leave and now they want to recruit a non welsh player who plays most his rugby in the aussie semi pro set up They are also searching for a winger , this despite having sold North a welsh test winger in the summer, having not renewed the contarct of a a welsh winger in fenby in the summer and having several young welsh wingers on the books of the region. If they insist on letting welsh players leave and replacing them with non welsh players then the WRU should reduce their funding until they can actually manage to abide by the rules they agreed to. If they still cannot agree to the required number of NWQ players then maybe it' time to fold this region and give to an area that can eg north wales or the valleys. Rules are rules and must be adhered to

    |   1

      YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

       
       
       

      MORE NEWS HEADLINES